Monday, November 06, 2006

janasammohini

I was listening to this santoor jugalbandi while wading my way back home through the peak hour traffic. The rAga stands to its name. My ears and mind were very pleased. There was this usual hustle-bustle in the traffic, but I was not there! I later realized I was the risky driver among the lot. The rAga lacks the note 'ma' and hence not a sampUrNa rAga. This does not prohibit the completeness of my heart's content.

Where I am and what I perceive is only a function of the thought. External characteristics hardly matter to where the mind takes me using the thought. Usually, I attach this kind of satisfaction to the serenity of mAnassarovar. Although I have never been there, my mind has tried to experience the beatitude several times. Beauty is personified when it brings immense peace.

The following verse is one of the many that describe beauty from saundarya lahari:

tvadIyaM saundarya tuhinagirikanye tulayitu
kavIndrAH kalpante kathamapi virinchiprabhRtayaH;
yadAlokautsukyAdamaralalanA yAnti manasA
tapobhirduShprApAmapi giriSasAyujyapadavIm .


Oh, daughter of ice mountain, even the creator who leads an array of great poets fails to describe your sublime beauty. The pretty heavenly maidens with a wish to see your pristine loveliness, try to see you through the eyes of your Lord, the great Siva. And do penance to him and reach him through their mind.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Dec 1, 2006, 9:13:00 AM, Blogger Rajeshwari Kalyanam said...

I do not recognise this raga but after reading about it i have this desire to listen to it and enjoy the beauty and happiness that you experienced.
Most of us are searching for the same peace and happiness but invain. Little do we realise that its our perception that matters. Even the maddening world around us becomes the canvas for our beautiful thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home